Today we are healthier than 40 years ago. 40 years ago people smoked cigarettes, there was more fat in the daily diet, the pollution was very high, even some rivers in the United States except for being banned for swimming, but also ignited by the level of pollution.
In the following decades, people have become more involved in protecting health in various ways and methods.
1) life expectancy is increased. The great progress in the field of medicine, coupled with a better understanding of people’s healthy habits, continued the life span.
According to statistical studies in the United States, the life expectancy of men in the US was 76 years, while in women it was 81 years old.
If a comparison was made in 1980, the average age of men was 70 years, and for the female population 77 years.
2) The number of smokers is reduced. In 1978, 36 percent were smokers in the United States, and in 2018 only 16 percent of the population. From 1991 to 2016, the cancer death rate has been significantly reduced due to less smoking, the early detection of the disease, and the treatment of this disease.
3) A hepatitis B vaccine has been detected. The first discovery of hepatitis B was in 1960, and only after twenty years of 1981 was the first vaccine approved for this liver disease.
The massive consumption of this vaccine contributed to the reduction of hepatitis B patients with as much as 84 percent,
and in this way, the patients with liver cancer also decreased.
4) The vaccine against sheep chickenpox. 50 years ago sheep’s chickenpox was an integral part of childhood.
Today, this disease has a very small percentage, the vaccine is worth it, more precisely in the United States annually 3.5 million cases are prevented.
5) Hospitals have magnetic resonance imaging. With the help of these medical devices, the inside of the body is recorded, making doctors more effectively diagnose health problems.
Before 1977, such a scan did not exist, it was difficult to detect severe health problems.
6) Belt of the car. During the period between 1960 and 1970, car seat belts was not mandatory.
In 1983 in the United States it became mandatory to place belts for driver and co-driver, and in 1991 it was obligatory for the rear seats.
In 1975, 45,000 people were killed in traffic accidents, while in 2017 there were 37,000 people.
7) Packages for the nutritional values of the products. In 1990, laws were passed to compulsorily emphasize the nutritional value of the products.
Since then, people can easily inform themselves about what they eat,
and food companies could no longer give false data about the characteristics of products.
8) Major measles. At one time the measles was very deadly, especially in 1980.
The World Health Organization declared this disease to be exterminated after its major efforts to immunize the world’s population.
The last case of smallpox in North America occurred in 1952, while the last in the general case was in Somalia in 1977.
9) Daminozide. Daminozide is a plant hormone registered in the United States for use in 1963, but later it was found to cause some organ cancer. In 1989 it was banned for use.
10) AIDS. The first case was observed in 1981, and in just 8 years there were 117,000 cases and more than 89,000 deaths.
In 1997, the first trials appeared on the market, resulting in a 47 percent reduction in deaths.
11 ) The risk of cancer deaths. But, unfortunately, scientists have not yet found a universal drug against cancer.
New therapies have succeeded in continuing the lives of those with this disease. In 1975 only 50% of patients were expected to live for more than 5 years, while that figure is 68 percent today.
12) Child mortality. With the advent of vaccine mortality in children, especially those under 5 years, has been significantly reduced. In 1960, nearly 3% of children in the United States died before their 5th birthday, and in 2015 this figure was reduced to 0.7%.
13) Treatment of diabetes. With new medicine, the treatment of diabetes allows a much better life for those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In 1993,
scientists managed to discover that kidney and eye diseases that were previously thought to have
been caused by diabetes are actually caused by a high blood glucose level. In this way, doctors today can continuously
monitor and control the level of glucose, and thus reduce rickets from other types of diseases.
14) Healthy food. In 2015 manufacturers for food in the United States had a period of 3 years
to eliminate the artificial fats from their article. this ban will positively affect the health of people without they themselves make any changes.